n. filmy crust on bottle-aged port wine

English contemporary dictionary. 2014.

Поможем сделать НИР

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Beeswing — may refer to:* Potassium bitartrate * Beeswing (horse), a 19th Century champion racehorse from Northern England. * A song by Richard Thompson (musician).Places* Beeswing, a small village in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. * The Beeswing Inn, a pub in… …   Wikipedia

  • Beeswing — Bees wing , n. The second crust formed in port and some other wines after long keeping. It consists of pure, shining scales of tartar, supposed to resemble the wing of a bee. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • beeswing — [bēz′wiŋ΄] n. a gauzy film that forms in some old wines, esp. port …   English World dictionary

  • beeswing — noun /ˈbiːzwɪŋ/ a filmy, translucent crust found in port and other old wines which have been bottled aged for a long time , 1904: The three glasses were grouped together, all of them tinged with wine, and one of them containing some dregs of… …   Wiktionary

  • Beeswing — Recorded in an amazing range of spellings including Beeston, Beaston, Beeson, Beeston, Bissin, Bisson, Beasin, Beasting, Beeswing, and even Beasting, this interesting surname is English. It apparently has nothing whatsoever to do with bees , and… …   Surnames reference

  • beeswing — /beez wing /, n. a light, flaky deposit found in port and some other bottle aged wines. [1855 60; BEE1 + S1 + WING] * * * …   Universalium

  • BEESWING —    a gauze like film which forms on the sides of a bottle of good port …   The Nuttall Encyclopaedia

  • beeswing — [ bi:zwɪŋ] noun a filmy crust on old port …   English new terms dictionary

  • beeswing — bees·wing …   English syllables

  • beeswing — /ˈbizwɪŋ/ (say beezwing) noun a thin film formed on port and some other wines after long keeping. –beeswinged, adjective …   Australian-English dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”